Sunday, May 27, 2007

Tsunami Tour

Sunday = day off. Yeah! Oh today was wonderfully relaxing. After a crazy week of travel and diving right into work, I had my first day off. It started of unexciting with laundry and a movie, but this afternoon I went on the “Tsunami Tour”.

The Tsunami Tour entails three main stops:


1. The barge in the middle of the road. Yes, this is a barge that made its way well inland and landed in the middle of this neighborhood. The first picture is the view as you drive from the main road. The second is the back of the barge from the street and the last one is the view from the second deck of the barge – you can see how close the barge is to the houses. As you can imagine, several houses were crushed by the barge. From what I understand, there is really no way to move the barge, so they have just rerouted the road around it.





2. The boat on the house. Again, another boat made it well inland to land on these houses. Amazingly, the house is intact, mostly.










3. The water tower in the middle of town on its side. This site is a construction zone, from what I hear, they expect to have this cleaned up within a few weeks.



I also took this picture as the sun was setting of people fishing on the banks of an estuary.

Incredibly interesting trip, but it also made me realize that I need to improve my Bahasa Indonesia – actually start to learn it. I went out with one of the drivers and while we were able to communicate a little (thanks to a borrowed phrasebook), it is apparent that I will need to start some studying.

1 comment:

JayEtta Hecker said...

Hi there - love the postings - and it seems you're not being received as the spy who came in from the west.
keep the news flowing