Thursday, May 24, 2007

Getting settled...

I am starting to realize that I am really going to be settled in one place for a good chunk of time. I am so used to packing up every few weeks to get on a plane to go someplace new, but not anymore. We shall see how anxious I get in a few weeks.

I've received a great welcome here. Everyone is so pleased to have me here - the response I continually get is - finally! I think they wanted me out here a good two months ago, so my arrival was well received. And I have been working hard to get up to speed as quickly as possible. The last two days have mostly been meeting with staff and getting acquainted with the program I will be directing over the next few months, as well as learning about the other activities in which they want me to get involved. And there are lots of them. Pretty much I have been told that while I was brought out here on this one project, they really see me as the "Livelihoods Manager" for the entire CHF Banda Aceh portfolio - wow! I am looking forward to this exciting new challenge.

OK, so enough about the work stuff. The people here have been wonderful and really welcoming. Upon my arrival in Banda Aceh I came right to the CHF guesthouse that I will be calling home for the next few months. I was met by our neighbor, who is also my supervisor. She took me on a lovely trip to the "expat" supermarket for a few goodies. And geez, while that should not be a difficult trip after all of my travels, I still was not sure where to start. Anyways, after a loaf of whole wheat bread, some butter, cheese and a yogurt - it was back home for a pizza ordered in and chatting with the new boss. I then moved on to unpacking my excess luggage - I still don't know what I brought that is so heavy. Maybe I went a bit overboard on the shoes, but I like the shoes, even if I don't wear all of them - yeah I know I am a weirdo. I still haven't finished unpacking. I think it scares me to see what I actually lugged around the world. Later, some of my housemates who had gone out came home and stopped in for a late evening chat. First day at the office went well, busy with lots of names that I am still struggling to remember. And while I was ready for bed at 7:00pm (OK, so maybe that is not so out of the ordinary), one of my colleagues invited us over for dinner. And that was yummy. Especially with a few nicely mixed gin and tonics. Oh, yes and I was worried that there would be a problem finding alcohol. I am happy to say that my worries were unfounded. Despite the Muslim (Shari'a) law the basics are fortunately available for us folk. Tonight was the real trip to the supermarket. Truly an exciting visit with purchases of olive oil and pasta, followed by a visit to the fruit and veggie market.

So, dinner tonight at home clarified that my best packing included the excellent knives and peeler courtesy of my darling sister Maliya. Thank you dear! (And the housemates thank you too.) Yes, with all of my travels, I have come to realize that a good knife and vegetable peeler are hard to come by. So, clearly a true necessity when packing up.

Oh and this was a great sign that I saw along the road when I arrived so I went back today and had my picture taken. Not only does it say Spies Hecker, if you look at the first bullet is says "Cat oven" - I didn't even notice that the first time I went by it. I guess the Heckers in Banda Aceh are all spies and ... are in charge of the "cat ovens." (I checked and I believe that it really means car painting.) Funny nonetheless.

OK, the jet lag is starting to catch up with me, I need some sleep.

No comments: