Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Arrival in Banda Aceh

Hello to my dear friends and family,

I deceided to set up this blog where I can share my adventures from the other side of the world with you.

As many of you know, I recently left the comforts of Washington, DC to take a 3 to 5 month consulting assignment in Banda Aceh, Indonesia with CHF International.

I actually just arrived in Banda Aceh last night. Before I get into the details of what I will be doing here, let me start with the journey to get here...

Saturday - mid-day: leave Washington, DC
Sunday - afternoon: arrive Narita/Tokyo
Sunday/Monday - midnight: arrive Singapore
Monday - day: apply for Indonesian visa & a bit of computer equipment shopping
Monday - night: arrive Jakarta
Tuesday - morning: meeting with CHF country director/meet Jakarta staff
Tuesday - afternoon: depart Jakarta for Banda Aceh (via Medan)
Tuesday - evening: arrive CHF guest house in Banda Aceh
Tuesday - night: getting settled
Wednesday - 5am: awoken by morning call to prayer and a very noisy rooster

I have been hired as a livelihoods (basic economic development) consultant for a new project working in Lamno, about three hours south of Banda Aceh. I will be managing the project, so they have been waiting to get me out here to begin working. In such, I will need to get things moving ahead pretty quickly. Should be an exciting, challenging, and adventureous few months.

It is now about 7am and I should start getting ready for my first day of work. I will write more soon.

1 comment:

Gabi said...

shana, you are the coolest mo-fo around! i love that you created your own opportunity to learn and grow at this point in your life. you are going to be a rock star in Indonesia! i am also so proud of your techie, blogging skills!
xoxoxoxo gabi (middle sis)