Friday, November 23, 2007

Another few months under my belt...

Well, it's been awhile since I've written. Been a busy few months.

Had an amazing vacation with my family. We went for a little beach vacation in Sabang, then I look them to Lamno for the day. Then I left them in Banda Aceh while I went to Jakarta for the day. They did a good job of keeping themselves. We then met in Medan and then headed straight to see the orangutans - one of only two places in the world where they can still be found in the wild. We then went to Bali and had a great time. Mom even got in some furniture shopping.

Other than that, I have been keeping busy. I accepted a full-time job out here. I even got a fancy title - Senior Economic Development Program Advisor - makes me sound all smart and all.

Had a really nice Thanksgiving. We don't get it off here, but at about 11am, I realized that I needed to do something. So I got a chicken and some veggies and cooked up a storm. (I made roast chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, calabaza, tsimmis, green beans and almonds, lemon pepper broccoli and cauliflower, and of course a cheesecake. Additions included: bread, cheese, steamed veggies, cranberry sauce, and a few beers.) It was a small gathering, only 7 - compared to about 50 I had in Barcelona and 25 in Chile a few years back. But it was really nice.

And to top it all off, I was awoken at 6am with a 6.1 magnitude earthquake 55 miles off of Banda Aceh this morning. It felt like a pretty big one. Happy to say that our new house handled the prolonged shaking with no problem. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2007kabq.php

I will, happily, be coming back to the US for about a month in December to clean things up "before" my official move to Indonesia.

No comments: